Monday, November 12, 2012

Bad Math and Halloween decisions

I was re-pinning a sugar cookie pin on Pinterest and thought to myself, I really need to bake more sugar cookies so I can use all the 100 cookie cutter shapes I have... Brilliant! But reality knocked on my mental door and gave me some hated math:
Sugar cookies + Tafra + no restraint = Additional 5 pounds on hips/stomach per batch

I hate math!

My baby girl is now 15 months old, I am about 26 weeks pregnant and I still find myself wondering how all of this could be real. I had to overcome my first Halloween dilemma—I didn't dress M up when she was three months old—which boiled down to, how do we, who profess to know Christ, participate in a pagan holiday with our little girl while still holding to our beliefs?
I debated this for the month leading up to it. My husband grew up trick or treating, I did not. Yes, unbelievable as it may sound, I never trick or treated as a kid. My parents took my to the church fall festival and I got candy, but I never dressed up, never went up and down our streets asking for candy.
And really, I don't think I was better off or any worse than the kids that did.
So, at first I was going to do the same: What's good for the goose is good for the gander. After a discussion with my mother (Would you change your mind and let me? She said yes.), I was torn. I still didn't think it was that big of a deal. In the end, with a few rules (1. Costumes will never, ever be gruesome or violent, 2. There will be no trick or treating past age 12), we dressed the M Bug up and she went out with her cousins to collect candy.
AJ, CJ, M, and HJ (both girls were lady bugs!)

I also want to share this opinion piece from Focus on the Family's Jim Daly, because he sums up  how I feel about Halloween.
Thanksgiving, on the other hand, I'm looking forward to! My MOPS group had a speaker in to discuss traditions, and because my family is relatively tradition-less, share some of your traditions with me. I'm going to compile and pick a few I like to implement for my family this year. Thanks for your help!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment