Thursday, August 9, 2012

Well, the refrigerator is still kaput and the landlord didn't have a good plan, so I'm still without a refrigerator. M and I ended up eating lunch out (something I've been trying to avoid!) and I will not go back there... $9.66 for a turkey sandwich?!
I could've gotten two footlongs at Subway for that!
But I digress. The biggest challenge in this situation is having food that is healthy for the baby without being perishable, other than the string cheese and yogurt I have in the cooler. Which, by the way, is behaving phenomenally considering it's just a cooler with a wall plug in. Hasn't failed us yet!
M had banana and toast with peanut butter this morning, that I cut into strips then had the pleasure of watching her get peanut butter all over her pudgy little hands. I don't know why I didn't have my camera out?! But even though the compulsive part of me cringed, the other part enjoyed watching her munch away. I appreciate that M is willing to try any food we offer, and as yet has not refused anything. I'm also thankful for a lack of allergies!
M also has a new swimsuit that I picked up on clearance, mistakenly misjudging her size. I thought it would be big enough for her to grow into (it's 18 months) but no, it fits about right. It's adorable:
And it was the only suit that was a one piece—does any other mom have an issue with putting a toddler in a bikini?! If you don't, just think on this: There are thousands upon thousands of child sex offenders in our prisons—they're at public pools, too.
I'll stop short of a hijab but you will never find my daughter in a two piece. /steppingoffpodium
I wish I could say that lacking a fridge has put me into clever-mom-mode, but it hasn't. Trying to cook anything save for canned food without milk, butter, mayo, etc. seems to be almost impossible for me, because I'm not that good of a cook anyway. My hubby is the {good} cook in our house, but on days that he works 12 hours, it's super easy for us both to pick a restaurant. Those Guadalajara waiters know our family way too well...
So if you do have foodie suggestions until I have a fridge back, comment! My frozens are at a dear friends and I have limited milk, no eggs,  and no butter. Get creative people—what's for breakfast?


My one-day swimmer had my goggles around her neck during her nap and woke up with the wildest hair ever. It was so cute! She's actually chewing on a grape, but I love the expression. It says, "You always take my picture when I'm eating!"

You know you're a parent when: You have to wash your hands before using the restroom because there's a bunch of your baby's food on you.

Be blessed, everyone.



1 comment:

  1. Your comment about canned food made me think of the cookbook: "A Man, a Can, a Plan", but I doubt it would be healthy. Avocado is pretty filling and works great on toast. Coconut oil and olive oil are good subs for butter to cook with. Eggs actually keep very well without refrigeration, but they keep best if they aren't washed so best to buy unwashed and then wash as they use them if you can get them from a farmer near you.

    ReplyDelete