Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Is she ready?

Is she ready for a sleepover? And by "she", I mean me. Am I ready for my daughter to do a full night away from me? My knee-jerk reaction is "NO!"
The hubby and I are being taken out to dinner by his boss, which for us is doubling as an anniversary dinner since we celebrated our fifth on September 1 ("celebrated" is a misnomer... I actually worked the entire day, we had breakfast together and that was that). The dinner is also a fundraising event so there's no telling exactly how long it's going to take.
Next dilemma: I don't exactly have a long list of sitters. In fact, thus far, we've only had to pay one person to watch M—all other times, she's been in the care of family. Honestly, I really like it that way because I have a deep mistrust of people. That mistrust is fed by news reports of the evil human beings out there who abuse children and the fact that I worked at a prison for a year; I know what kind of horrible humans are out there!
So M is again going to be in the care of her Grandma this evening, but she's going to be at Grandma's house. We don't know how late we'll be out, so the option was presented of letting M stay overnight.
Ah, the dilemma. While I have no doubt that M is independent enough to be okay with it, I'm not sure if I can keep myself from worrying all night.
What if she wakes up and is scared by her environment? (She's spent a lot of time at Grandma's house.)
What if she gets sick? (Grandma raised three children of her own, I'll be she could handle it.)
What if something happens? (What exactly is "something", anyway?)
So should I leave my baby there overnight? I probably won't know until tonight, when we're driving home and I'm trying to decide if waking my baby up from sleep, putting her in a car, then removing her and replacing her in the crib is worth the several sleep interruptions and the possibility of a meltdown, or if leaving her with her grandparents overnight is better so she'll get a full night of sleep.
I never imagined I could be this torn!

How hard would it be to not see that face as the last thing before I go to sleep?

Parenting TOTD:
You know you're a parent when the thought of college tuition sends you into a minor panic (and your child is 17 years away from going to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment