Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Country meld—I'm a songwriter in hiding

I work part time at a place that plays country. I hate country music (as it is now). After four measly hours I'm ready to pull my hair out, and now, having worked there for over six months, I'm ready to clean out my brain if I could.
The problem with the music, besides the fact that it's "country," otherwise known as pop rock, is that it is the same, over and over and over and over.
So, when you have a problem of waking up randomly in the middle of the night and your brain starts working, you might come up with something like this:

Hey I'm a wildflower, growin' in the sunshine, 
soakin' up the way of life I was raised in,
runnin' barefoot, bloomin' in a summer shower, ponytail dancin', I can't help it,
I scream, at the top of my lungs, yea I come undone,
I'm stuck on you, whoa-oh, whoa-oh, stuck like glue,
you and me baby we're stuck like glue, whoa-oh, whoa-oh,
how come all the pretty girls like you are taken baby,
I've been looking for someone like you to save me,
would you walk to the edge of the ocean, just to fill my jar with sand,
just in case I get the notion, 
I see myself, like my mother doooooooeeeeessssssss,
when we owwwwwwwwned the night! 

Yup, it makes me want to scream too. (In case you're wondering: JaneDear Girls, Katie Arminger, Sugarland, Zac Brown Band, The Band Perry, Lauren Alaina, Lady Antebellum.)
There are two that I can even enjoy (The Band Perry & Lady Antebellum, although I can't say I like Lady Antebellum for any type of country music) but I would love to see Taylor Swift disappear from the scene completely and for all her music to just vanish.
Long, long ago I saw Rascal Flatts at their first Colorado concert (held at then-Six Flags Elitch Gardens) and I had loved them, right up until their third album and their music became unrecognizable as "country." I also saw Keith Urban before anyone knew who he was and guess what? Can't stand his music!!
If I didn't get a great discount on things I love like Wrangler and Ariat and get the chance to socialize with adults (yay!) it would be worth quitting! 
In the meantime, I'm going to keep praying my photography and freelance expands to the point where I don't need a part time job so that I can visit the store on occasion to buy feed. Until that happy day occurs, maybe I could get away with cotton in my ears?!

No comments:

Post a Comment