Saturday, July 7, 2012

A little rain, a little shine

Yesterday did not start off in a way that might've made me worry. In fact, baby M had a great morning and we even got to go swimming with Grandma in the afternoon.
Once we were leaving though, the big gray clouds rolling in could've been playing an ominous tune, because they forecast nothing but trouble.
I was scheduled to do maternity photos with my friend Alise and her hubby, whose little bundle is due July 10, 2012. When I spoke to her, I said, "Pray it doesn't rain on our parade!" even though it seemed apparent there was no amount of praying that might stop this mighty storm.
As it came closer for me to go meet them, it started to rain, and hard. I found my phone, obviously wanting to touch bases with Alise, and found it mysteriously off. Sure, you'd think I just forgot to charge it, right? That would be the blonde excuse. But oh no, it was charged. It had sat on the charger all night. So the stupid thing mysteriously died, leaving me with no way to contact anyone except my parents' landline (I know, dinosaur.)
But does anyone memorize numbers anymore? I don't, except for the hubby's and the home number my parents have had since moving to Colorado. So the next step was trying to get Alise's number, which I knew was in my Facebook messages, which was easily accessible via computer, right? Wrong. Facebook is worthless if you cannot access it, which you cannot if the Internet your parents use is down.
So, the count is 1. Phone dead and 2. Internet down. What more could possibly happen? Well, how about walking out to your car ("Stella") and finding the door locked. Hmmm, that's strange, you might think. So you go ask your dad if perhaps he had locked it from some strange concern it might be stolen right in front of our eyes. But no, no he did not. Oh boy.
I go back out to Stella and go the driver's side door, and to my growing dismay, find it locked. Stella had locked herself. Key inside. CAMERA inside.
Yep, I sure wouldn't have cared if that thing had locked itself only with my key inside. But that camera? Alise and I live over 50 miles apart and she's due in literally 3 days, who knows when that baby will come?! I needed that camera!!
I guess it is good that I have my husband's cell number memorized because at least I could get a hold of him, no problemo. Crazy guy was just leaving work (he worked like 13 hours, bless his poor tired heart) and told me he'd go get the spare key and come to my parents' house.
That brings it to: 1. Phone dead 2. Internet down 3. Car locked with camera inside.
I jumped into my dad's pickup to hopefully track down Alise at our designated meeting space, not knowing if she had maybe decided to cancel due to rain, or maybe the baby coming, so I just hoped to see her. To no avail—so I went back and finally the Internet had returned.
Amazingly, the evening rounded itself out. The storm cleared, Alise and her hubby passed some time with dinner and visiting with me, my great rescuer hubby arrived and unlocked my car, and, being very thankful for late summer light, we got to take photos.
 This is photographer's favorite. I'm really thankful to Alise for being a good sport, being patient, and most of all, allowing me to take photos for her. I learned so much, it was absolutely invaluable. Thank you Alise!!
We may not have gotten to do playground photos (my original idea), but I think overall, it turned out just fine. And if Alise gets her way, her little bundle of joy will arrive sooner rather than later, so it's awesome that we did get this session in. Thank you, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment