Monday, July 23, 2012

Words for a wordless situation

I'm about an hour away from the Aurora theater where 12 people lost their lives due to senseless violence. When Columbine happened, I was a sophomore in the same school district as Columbine and we were locked in until the end of the day.
Colorado has seen its fair share of violence and evil. Sometimes I feel like there are no words to express the horror and sadness I feel when these things happen, but then I remember, there are many words—the Bible is full of them.
I love to see wounded individuals reaching out to God when their world is shaken, because God is not behind the evil that occurs in this world, the Enemy is. And when you seek solace and shelter in Him, hope grows in Him (Psalms 31:24).
Evil entered the world when Satan first tempted Eve. It began to rule the world once Adam and Eve sinned; their children succumbed to it (Cain and Abel), cities fell (Sodom and Gomorrah) and eventually God sent His only Son, Jesus, so that we could be saved from sin and join Him in heaven.
There is always hope, love and forgiveness for all who run to Christ. Tonight, as more details emerge and we see the perpetrator in court, I pray that all those affected by this tragedy seek the only one who can give them hope.

Dear Lord,
Thank you for your Son, Jesus Christ. I pray that you be with the families affected by the shootings in Aurora, that you comfort them, strengthen them, and that they find solace in you. I pray that you also give them the strength to forgive, as you forgive us. I pray that any questions they have, that you put the right people in their lives to lead them to you or teach them to be closer to you. I pray for all those who were lost that night, that they knew you and one day I'll meet them in heaven.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment