Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mommy, what's a postcard?

"Mommy, what's a postcard?"
M isn't big enough to say that, she's still on the "da da da da da" and other repetitive strings of baby jabber that will one day form into English. But if she ever does, I vow to remember this day, the 8th of May, 2012, when I had a woman inform me (unasked) that a postcard is "a card without an envelope."
 {Postcards}
I was offended at first. I stared at this woman with my jaw working, smothering the smart comment I wanted to give back to her (I smothered because I was at work and this was a customer). Once I had somewhat recovered, I helped her, but it left me so flabbergasted I proceeded to tell everyone I was working with about this absurdity.
I told my boss and that became his running joke, which at least helped me look on the whole situation with humor—because it is, in fact, quite amusing. Once I got over being offended.
I am 28 years old! I am a mother! I'm married! I'm a college graduate! I have a whole photo album of postcards from all the places I've traveled! I'm blonde but I'm not stupid! How dare you explain to me the fundamental makeup of a postcard!
And..."a card without an envelope."
Perhaps my pause while considering her question ("Do you have postcards?") was interpreted to mean that I didn't understand what a postcard is. The gracious side of me will give her the benefit of doubt.
I might've said, "No, I'm sorry, could you be a bit more descriptive? I'm not really sure I get what you mean?" but that would've only given me some small bit of pleasure for the disdain I felt, and it probably would've made her think I was really, really blonde. Like, "What's the difference between a blonde and a computer? You only have to punch the information into a computer once" blonde.
Instead, I pointed her in the direction of where postcards would've been if we carried them and ungraciously left her to find them herself because a blonde girl might not be able to get herself out of a cardboard box, you know, and I didn't want to get lost going back to the front doors.
Ah, friends, raise a glass to the pretentious strangers who will enter your life. If anything, at least they'll provide a few moments of laughter.
You can bet if anyone ever asks, "What's in the envelope?" in my presence, you might hear, "Well it's for sure not a postcard."

In other news, have you LOLCat'd lately? It might be good for you.

1 comment:

  1. OK, I laughed a lot largely because I could see visualize the expression on your face as this was happening, and after she left. :)

    ReplyDelete